Free busy failure from on-premises to Office 365 mailboxes

Share this:

After completing an Exchange Hybrid Configuration wizard on a customer, we noticed that the free-busy information wasn’t working when an on-premises user was trying to retrieve information from a migrated user to Office 365. In this Tutorial, we are going to shed some light to fix the issue.

Solution


During the troubleshooting, we noticed that all cmdlets that were requesting information from Office 365 were failing, as depicted in the image below.

image

We went one step further and we tried to open a website (office.com) and we got a certificate error as well.

image

After some time troubleshooting and comparing with a server that did not have the issue, we found out the culprit: Turn off Automatic Root Certificates Updates was enabled on the server.  In order to fix it, open gpedit.msc, expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Internet Communication Management, Internet Communication settings, and change it to Not configured or Disabled.

image

 

image

 

No restart is required, try to access any SSL site and if you don’t have any issues, try the PowerShell cmdlets. In my customer’s case, the free-busy start working like a charm.

Written by Anderson Patricio

Anderson Patricio

Anderson Patricio is a Canadian MVP in Cloud and Datacenter Management, and Office Server and Services, besides the Microsoft Award he also holds a Solutions Master (MCSM) in Exchange and several other certifications. Anderson has been contributing to the Microsoft Community with articles, tutorials, blog posts, twitter, forums and book reviews. He is a regular contributor here at ITPROCentral.com, MSExchange.org, Techgenix.com and Anderson Patricio.org (Portuguese).

RelatedPost